Getting to know someone new can be tricky.
Whether you’re chatting with a coworker, on a first date or want to strengthen an existing relationship, these questions will set you on the path to developing a connection.
Just memorize a few before you head out, and you’ll be set!
Table of Contents
Getting to know someone new? These questions are a great way to get the conversation started.
1. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
2. Do you enjoy hiking, camping or outdoor adventuring?
3. Have you always worked in your current profession?
4. Where do you like to eat in your neighborhood?
This question will give you an insight into your companion’s preferred cuisines while also gaining you a quick restaurant recommendation. Score!
5. What books do you enjoy reading?
6. What led you to pursue your current career?
7. Do you do any sports or recreational activities?
8. Have you traveled much? Where would you recommend visiting?
9. Would you ever run a marathon?
10. Would you prefer to live in the city or the countryside?
11. What’s your favorite movie of all time?
12. Do you like cooking? What’s your favorite dish to prepare?
13. What do you do on a typical weekend?
Asking how a person spends their leisure time offers a sneak-peak into your shared hobbies and interests.
14. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
15. What would your dream home look like?
16. If money wasn’t a factor, how would you spend your ideal holiday?
Encourage your companion to talk about their dream holiday and just watch their face light up. Who doesn’t enjoy fantasizing about pristine beaches and fluffy hotel pillows?
17. Would you rather holiday in the sun or the snow?
18. Do you have any artistic talents?
19. Do you like spicy food?
20. Who’s one leader you admire?
21. Do you have any pets?
This question is a surefire way to have your companion pulling out their phone and showing you an adorable snap.
22. Do you prefer Apple or Android?
Speaking of phones, let the debate rage on!
23. Do you have a green thumb, or does everything you touch die?
24. What’s your favorite annual holiday, and how do you celebrate it?
25. Do you enjoy video or board games?
26. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
This question is a surprisingly scientific one that taps into circadian rhythms. It’s true that some people are biologically predisposed to function better at certain times of the day!
27. Do you appreciate art galleries and museums, or do you find them boring?
28. What’s the worst place you’ve ever visited?
29. What’s one goal you’re working toward at the moment? What steps have you taken toward achieving it?
This question is great for gauging how ambitious your companion is. People who take actionable steps toward achieving goals are more likely to get ahead!
30. What’s the best concert you ever attended?
31. Are you tech-savvy or a technophobe?
32. What cartoons did you watch as a kid? Would you still watch them?
33. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Ready to get a little more personal? Nice! These questions will help you understand your companion that much better.
34. Are you a thrill-seeker?
35. Who is your role model?
36. Are you a clean freak, or do you prefer when things are a little messy?
37. What’s something you think is entirely underrated?
38. Do you prefer to spend time alone or in the company of others?
This question taps into whether your companion is an introvert — someone who gains energy for solitary activities — or an extrovert — someone who recharges in the presence of other people.
39. How did you meet your current partner?
40. What is something new you’d like to learn?
41. Do you have any phobias?
42. Do you believe that some people are naturally luckier than others?
43. What is your proudest achievement to date?
44. Have you ever dreamt of writing a novel? What would it be about?
45. Do you wish you had more money or more time?
46. Do you collect anything?
47. What is the most exciting thing you’ve done recently?
48. What’s one thing you’re determined to do before you die?
49. What is one responsibility that you wish you could palm onto someone else?
50. What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken?
51. What do you daydream about?
52. When you get an hour’s peace and quiet, how do you spend it?
53. Do you think you’re a good driver?
54. How would your friends/family likely describe you?
How we perceive ourselves is one thing, but this question will reveal how others perceive your companion from a more objective standpoint.
55. What is your best attribute or personality trait?
56. Do you have any obscure hobbies?
57. What is your most embarrassing moment?
58. Have you ever attended a protest?
59. What song do you listen to on repeat when you’re sad?
60. Are you saving money for something special?
61. Are you happy in your job or considering a career change?
62. What would your dream wedding look like?
63. What was your New Year’s resolution? Have you achieved it yet?
64. Do you like receiving gifts from your partner, or do you prefer to be shown love in other ways?
This question taps into your companion’s preferred love language. While some people appreciate gifts, others prefer, touch, acts of service or simply spending time with their partner as a way to show love.
65. How would you react if your best friend threw you a surprise party?
66. Who is your favorite television or movie character?
67. What is the most important trait you look for in a potential partner?
68. What is one of your worst habits?
69. What clique did you belong to when you were a teenager?
70. What’s one thing people often argue about that you have no stance on?
Very Personal Questions
You’ve laid the groundwork. Now it’s really time to start digging. Tread carefully, and maybe give your companion an easy out in case they don’t want to answer!
71. Have you ever been in love? How did you know?
72. What situations make you feel most anxious?
73. Do you believe in love at first sight?
74. If you found out you were going to die without the chance to speak to anybody, what would you regret never saying and to whom? Why haven’t you said it yet?
75. Have you ever been admitted to the hospital?
76. Are you religious or spiritual?
Shared spirituality is often at the foundation of close bonds. Gauging the compatibility of yours and your companion’s beliefs early in your relationship may signal whether it’s likely to endure.
77. Do you use any dating apps?
78. Do you believe in any conspiracy theories?
79. Are you the type of person who can commit to a single partner?
80. Have you ever broken the law?
81. What would the perfect first date look like for you?
82. Have you ever shoplifted?
83. What would a friend or family member have to do for you to cut them out of your life forever?
84. If people are gossiping about you, what do you think they’re saying?
85. Do you have a first-kiss story?
86. What is your biggest turn-off in a partner?
87. If you could go back in time and deliver a message to your past self, what would it be?
88. What was your relationship with your parents like growing up?
Our early relationships form a huge of our present-day personalities and affect how we relate to others. Understanding how your companion related to their parents when they were growing up may go a long way in explaining who they are today.
89. What is one non-negotiable rule you uphold in your romantic relationships?
90. How do you handle emotionally challenging situations?
91. Have you had any health scares?
92. How would you feel about being proposed to in public?
93. On average, do you think you’re happier than the people around you or unhappier?
94. Who ended your last relationship — you or your partner?
95. Have you ever had a brush with death?
96. What do you feel is your biggest weakness that you need to work on in your romantic relationships?
This question is an excellent test of self-insight. It can be tough to look at ourselves critically, especially in matters of the heart.
97. Do you want to have kids someday?
98. Whose death would have the most significant emotional impact on you?
99. Do you regret the way you treated someone in your past? What would you have done differently?
100. If you could plan your own funeral, what would be on the program?
More in Getting to Know people:
21 Questions Game
98 Best Truth Questions to Ask Your Friends
100 Speed Dating Questions
54 First Date Questions
100 Icebreaker Questions
Yes or No Questions
50 Rapid Fire Questions to Get to Know People