The Lord of the Rings is an epic high-fantasy trilogy written by J.R.R. Tolkien and later adapted to film by director Peter Jackson. The trilogy includes the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) went on to earn the Oscar for Best Picture at the 76th Academy Awards ceremony.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a high-fantasy, epic and is probably the most famous epic fantasy series of all time. If you think you know your Lord of the Rings trivia, try and see how well you do on these trivia questions made specifically for LOTR experts.
Lord of the Rings — The Backstory
1. Question: Who is the malevolent dark lord that becomes the ruler of Mordor?
2. Question: Who is the actor that plays Frodo Baggins?
3. Question: Who is the director of the Lord of the Rings?
4. Question: Lord Sauron survives the defeat of the ultimate Dark Lord. Who is the ultimate Dark Lord in LOTR?
5. Question: Dark Lord Morgoth goes by a second name. What is this other name Dark Lord Morgoth is referred to as?
6. Question: Which of the three movies in the trilogy went on to win Best Picture at the 2003 Awards Ceremony?
7. Question: In Saurons plan to take over Middle Earth, he uses a disguise to befriend the elves. What is the name of Saurons disguise?
8. Question: What actor plays Legolas Greenleaf?
9. Question: What is the name of the powerful Elf that Sauron looks to befriend through his disguise?
10. Question: Who forged the Magical Rings of Power that gives powers to its wearers?
11. Question: Which actor plays Aragorn?
12. Question: Lord Sauron waged a war to try and collect the powerful rings. How many rings did he collect?
13. Question: What happened to the men who received the rings and wore them?
14. Question: Why are The Nine considered Sauron’s most greatly feared servants?
15. Question: Who is Eru Illuvatar?
16. Question: Which group of beings did Eru Iluvatar first create?
17. Question: How did the Ainur and Eru Illuvatar create the world of Arda?
18. Question: Which beings shaped the realm of Arda?
19. Question: Who are the Valar?
20. Question: How were Elves and Mankind brought into being in LOTR?
21. Question: Lord Sauron was taken as a prisoner by which King?
22. Question: Who is the King of Arda?
23. Question: What caused the destruction of Lord Sauron’s physical body?
24. Question: Which rings were considered the most powerful Rings of Power?
25. Question: Why did the Elves take off their rings?
26. Question: What were the three great time periods in the Lord of the Rings?
27. Question: At which point did the First Age of Arda start?
28. Question: Which race held the remaining Rings of Power Lord Sauron sought to capture?
29. Question: Which group captured Sauron and held him as their prisoner?
Lord of the Rings — The Fellowship of the Ring
30. Question: How many books is the Fellowship of the Ring divided into?
31. Question: When was the Fellowship of the Ring first released?
Question: How does the fellowship of the ring start?
33. Question: How does Bilbo Baggins find the ring?
34. Question: Who is Smeigel originally and what does he become?
35. Question: How does Smeigel transform into Gollum?
36. Question: Who is Frodo Baggins?
37. Question: Where does Frodo Baggins’ story begin?
38. Question: What are the three main races in Middle Earth?
39. Question: How old does Bilbo Baggins turn at his birthday party at the beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring?
40. Question: Where is Frodo hoping to get when he leaves the Shire? Who gave him the advice to leave Bag End?
41. Question: What are the Orcs?
42. Question: How long after The Hobbit does the events of the Lord of the Rings take place?
43. Question: How does the Ring corrupt those that have it in their possession?
44. Question: Who does Frodo Baggins escape the Shire with?
45. Question: What are the names of the three other friends Frodo escapes with in search of Rivendell?
46. Question: Who is Aragorn?
47. Question: How did the hobbits learn that it was Aragorn who had visited in Rivendell?
48. Question: Who is the Lord of Rivendell?
49. Question: What do they need to do in order to save Middle Earth from Lord Sauron’s dark powers?
50. Question: What does the ‘Fellowship of the Ring’ refer to?
51. Question: Who did the ‘Fellowship’ ultimately come to include?
52. Question: Who began following the Fellowship as they traversed to Mount Doom?
53. Question: What actor plays Gandalf the Grey?
The Lord of the Rings—The Two Towers
54. Question: What is the name of the mountain range that the Fellowship traverses?
55. Question: What is the name of the underground kingdom the Fellowship end up using as a route to get to Mount Doom?
56. Question: What does Frodo begin realizing towards the end of the Fellowship that sets the stage for the beginning fo the Two Towers?
57. Question: How does the Fellowship fall apart?
58. Question: Where do Merry and Pippin go once they escape from the Orcs?
59. Question: While Merry and Pippin are in the anthropomorphic forest, what do they encounter?
60. Question: When the remaining members of the Fellowship go looking for Merry and Pippin in Fangorn Forest, who do they end up finding there?
61. Once they meet and run into Gandalf, where do they (Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli) go?
62. In the film The Two Towers, where are the scenes that take place in Edoras filmed?
63. Question: The sword that was reformed from the remains of the ‘Sword that was Broken’ is called what new name?
64. Question: What is Legolas’s last name?
65. Question: Which actress plays Galadriel?
66. Question: What happens to Frodo and Samwise as they continue on their journey with the One Ring?
67. Question: What does Frodo convince Gollum to do once they capture him?
68. Question: Which Ent does Merry and Pippin meet in Fangorn Forest?
69. Question: What does Gandalf the Grey become in the Two Towers?
70. Question: Which actress plays Arwen?
Lord of the Rings — The Return of the King
71. Question: Which character is in love with Arwen?
72. Question: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King holds the world record for receiving most academy awards along with what two others movies?
73. Question: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is the first movie of what genre to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards?
74. Question: How much money did The Return of the King earn in the box office?
75. Question: Who wrote the score for LOTR?
76. Question: Who is the King of Edoras?
77. Question: What is the name of the gigantic spider creature Gollum brings Forod and Samwise to?
78. Question: What happens with Shelob the spider?
79. Question: Which actor plays Boromir?
80. Question: How does Boromir die?
81. Question: Which movie is the third and final film of the LOTR trilogy?
82. Question: Which movie out of the trilogy was most successful in the box office?
83. Question: In the film The Return of the King, what computer technology do they use to make Gollum look creepy?
84. Question: How does the film the Return of the King start?
85. Question: Who found the Ring with Smeagol?
86. Question: What happens to Deagol when he refuses to give Smeagol the Ring?
87. Question: Who is highly suspicious of Gollum throughout the journey to Mount Doom?
88. Question: What are the Palantir known as in LOTR?
89. Question: What powers do the seeing-stones have?
90. Question: Which characters have a drinking competition at their post-battle party?
91. Question: What is the dream that Eowyn tells Aragorn about?
92. Question: What happens to Pippin when he uses the Seeing Stone?
93. Question: What is the name of the capital city of Gondor?
94. Question: What did Pippin’s dream reveal to the group?
95. Question: Which ships does Gandalf urge Aragorn to take to go to Minas Tirith?
96. Question: Who does Gandalf say is the worst hobbit because of his curiosity?
97. Question: Why do they need to get Pippin out of Rohan?
98. Question: What vision from the future does Arwen have while she is travelling towards the Grey Havens?
99. Question: Who is Arwen’s father?
100. Question: What does Elrond start to realize about Arwen?
101. Question: What is the name of the sword that is used to cut the Ring from Sauron’s hand?
102. Question: Who eventually comes to own this sword (Narsil)?
103. Question: What does Pippin see once they arrive at the city of Minas Tirith?
104. Question: Once arriving in Minas Tirith, who do they (Gandalf and Pippin) go to see?
105. Question: Who is Sauron’s most deadly servant?
106. Question: What does Gollum try to convince Frodo of?
107. Question: Which character said this famous line from the movie “Not all those who wander are lost.”
108. Question: What happens with Frodo and Sam on their way to Mount Doom that separates the two?
109. Question: Who tries to save Frodo from Shelab the gigantic spider?
110. Question: Which actor plays Gollum/Smeagol?