My jaw slammed to the floor. Did.. did he really just say that?
‘Yeah, you have great legs, not like thunder thighs over there!’
Why on earth did this guy think that complimenting my legs by comparing them with someone else’s was going to make me swoon?!
We’ll get this out there straight away:
‘Negging’ (giving a backhanded compliment to undermine confidence) will never work. Authenticity and kindness? Now those are sure winners.
Giving a compliment to catch a girl’s attention is a fine art– you need to know what to say, how to say it, and read the room as to whether its appropriate or not in context.
So many guys make the mistake of giving compliments out of some outdated chivalric duty, and whilst the attempt may be endearing, all it really leads to is an awkward smile and a funny story.
Learning to give a compliment properly is guaranteed to up your dating game.
Firstly, there’s three parts to giving a compliment:
- What you say
A compliment doesn’t just have to be an ‘I like your…’ In fact the best compliments are often the ones that aren’t overt, the ones that show you can notice something special- so much so that you just had to say it because it adds value to your life.
- How you say it
The tone of a compliment carries a lot of weight. Words are meaningless unless they’re sincere. Yes, the gesture of complimenting may be sweet, but if you want her to really listen and believe what you’re saying, you have to be sincere.
- The context
A casual compliment often works best because it seems like there is less attached to why it’s being given- there’s no expectation that a girl will suddenly be head over heels in love with you! Obviously the compliment has to be appropriate too; you can’t really use a cheeky one on someone you met 2 minutes ago. Gauging the depth of your current relationship shows how much leeway there is in what compliments will be received well.
So now, onto my top 50 compliments to give a girl!
These are potent and genuine compliments, use with caution as they may result in a meaningful and lasting relationship with the girl of your dreams.
Guys will often compliment a girl’s appearance as a way to show he’s attracted to her, but it’s a tricky topic to get right. Try and focus more on general aspects of her appearance rather than honing in on a body part. There is nothing worse than leering, and keeping it general is a safer way of approaching these compliments.
- I love that perfume, what is it?
- You always take such good care of yourself/hair/nails/clothes etc.
- Have you done something new today? Something seems different, and I like it!
- You have such a beautiful smile
- I didn’t even realize you wore makeup! I can see it only enhances your natural beauty
- Could you be any cuter?
- I love every single bit of you
- You dance like nobody’s watching- I wish I could do it so well
- You’d make a bin bag look couture
- You’re so beautiful, but getting to know you that’s just a bonus to everything else you have to offer the world
EFFECT ON ME
It’s always nice to know you mean something to someone! These compliments aren’t too direct, and instead, give the message that she brings something to your life that wasn’t there before.
- I love talking/spending time with you
- I feel so comfortable when I’m around you
- Just thinking about you brings a smile to my face
- I can’t/don’t want to imagine my life without you
- I could listen to you talk (about this) for hours
- I’d rather spend time with you than… (eg. go out tonight)
- I can always count on you
- You inspire me
- You bring out the best in me
- I’ve never met anyone who can make me laugh like you do
Similar to the ‘effect on me’, these compliments are all rounders that can give an air of mystery (does he like me or does he like me?) and show that you value her just being herself.
- You have an amazing presence
- I wish I’d always knows you
- You make even the most boring things fun/exciting/enjoyable
- You (can) light up any room
- There’s something special about you
- Everyone that meets you falls in love with you
- You’re irreplaceable
- You teach me something new every day
- That was amazing
- Don’t let anyone bring you down, anything they’d say would be a straight up lie
Beauty is only skin deep- complimenting her personality means you take notice of the little things, and that she’s worth more to you than how she looks. When someone compliments my personality I always get that little glow inside that I’m unique, and that’s valuable.
- You don’t let anything hold you back
- It’s such a great attitude- you’re always ready to give things a try!
- You’re a good/kind/sweet person
- How do you always manage to make me see things in a better way?
- Your… is endearing/charming/unique
- You’re unapologetically yourself
- You’re so intuitive
- I’ve never met someone with a heart as big as yours
- I love the way you can laugh at yourself
- You can succeed at anything you set your mind to
I love cheeky compliments! They’re best used when you know someone a little better and know what sort of humour they can handle. The fun makes compliments less awkward or intense, and can be a great ice breaker.
- You’re the llamas pajamas
- You’re the Ben to my Jerry/ the avocado to my toast/ Kim K to my Kanye
- You’re as wise as an owl
- The only reason I don’t want to go to Hell is because you’d never end up there
- Superwoman hasn’t got anything on you!
- I bet you sweat glitter
- You’d definitely survive the Hunger Games
- *GASP* sorry, you just took my breath away
- Could you pass on to your parents that they did an awesome job
- Spending time with you is more exciting than signs for free food
So what now?
Well, now you have 50 great compliments for girls in your armory that are female approved!
Go forth and compliment the world, safe with the knowledge that these are the things girls want to hear and will appreciate!