Ever had a quiz night where it’s neck and neck with nothing to separate the competing factions. Well, in that case, all you need is a tie-breaker question to put an end to things once and for all.
Whether it is food and drink or the latest sports questions, we have it all for you right here. Take a look at some of our trickiest trivia tie-breakers that are bound to be the talk of the table.
Food and Drink Tie Breaker Questions
1) Avocados originated in which part of the world?
2) What is fried in white wine and butter in Lyonnaise sauce?
3)The Indian dish Balti takes its name from where?
The metal round bottom dish it is served in
4) What is the term in cooking (taken from the french) for when something is cooked in butter?
5) What type of foodstuff is normally the main ingredient of a Bisque?
6) What is the french term for a toasted cheese and ham sandwich?
7) What is the food term for when a food (e.g. pasta) is firm when bitten?
8) Traditionally what is filled with offal, oatmeal, suet and seasoning, to make a haggis?
9) What do you do with vegetables if they are prepared Julienne?
Cut them into fine strips
10) What is the name for pasta shaped like giant snails?
11) Autumn King, Figaro and St Valery are all varieties of which vegetable?
12) Which ‘T’ is a Greek yogurt containing cucumber?
13) Tempura is a fish or vegetable deep fried in batter best associated with which country?
14) In Indian cooking, what is a Tandoori?
A dish cooked in a clay oven known as a Tandoori
15) In French cooking, which ‘S’ is a dish of eggs whisked and baked?
16) Oysters Kilpatrick is a dish best associated with which country?
17) Mocha is a coffee usually flavored with which substance?
18) In Italy, what is a Mortadella?
19) What is a quandong?
20) As of 2013 which country was the largest producer of tea?
21) What type of fruit is a Banana?
22) What is a Pentland Javelin?
23) Enchiladas originated in which country?
24) How many calories does a glass of water contain?
25) Blinis are stuffed pancakes best associated with which country?
Sport Tie Breaker Questions
1) In Golf, which large seabird gives its name to the score of three-under-par on an individual hole?
2) Known as ‘The Jester from Leicester’, which player defeated Shaun Murphy in the final of the World Snooker Championship in 2021?
3) Which European golfer won the US Open in 2021?
4) Which side, newly promoted to the Football League in 2020, play their home games at Wetherby Road?
5) Cyclist Mark Cavendish was born on which British Crown Dependency?
Isle of Man
6) Which English sporting venue has the postcode HA9 0WS?
7) Which sport is Welshman Alun Wyn Jones associated with?
8) Which English football club are known as The Railwaymen?
9) ‘The Wall’ was a nickname given to which cricketer?
10) Who won his first major championship when beating Justin Rose in a sudden death play-off in Augusta in 2017?
11) Which country hosted the 2010 Football World Cup?
12) Which former Manchester United striker finished the tournament with five goals for his country Uruguay?
13) England were named in Group C alongside Egypt, Slovenia and which other nation?
14) Only one African nation reached the Quarter Finals. Can you name them?
15) Which European team knocked England out of the tournament in the Second Round?
16) Which Barcelona midfielder scored an extra time goal to help Spain win the 2010 World Cup Final?
17) David Beckham played his last game of professional football in the shirt of which club?
Paris Saint Germain
20) In Cricket, which England great who sadly passed away in December 2019 was honored in the name of which took place instead of the County Championship in 2020?
Bob Willis (The Bob WIllis Trophy)
21) In 2021, Nuno Espirito Santo left Wolves to become manager at which Premier League club?
22) In 2021, Matteo Berrettini became which country’s first appearance in a Wimbledon singles final?
23) The Tampa Bay Buccaneers became champions of which sport in 2021, beating the Kansas City Chiefs?
24) In 2021, St. Helens beat Castleford to win the Challenge Cup. Which sport were they playing?
25) Danni Wyatt is a well-known name in which sport?
TV Tie Breaker Questions
1) Connie Fisher won which TV talent show that aimed to find the lead singer for a West End musical for Andrew Lloyd Webber?
How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?
2) Amber Gill and Greg O’Shea were crowned winners of which tv reality show in 2019?
3) Which explorer films himself after being dropped into different inhospitable regions of the world, showing his attempts to survive. He has a number of Discovery Channel shows such as ‘Marooned’, ‘Naked and Marooned’ and ‘Left for Dead’
4) Willian G Stewart presented which tough quiz show between 1988 and 2003?
15 to 1
5) Which historical drama set in Yorkshire was created and co-written by Julian Fellowes?
6) Which actress, writer and producer wrote the first series of Killing Eve and was the creator and writer of Fleabag?
7) In ITV’s The Chase, who is known as ‘The Vixen’?
8) Which series follows the investigation by FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper into the murder of a Homecoming Queen?
9) Starring Dominic West and Idris Elba amongst many others, which crime drama was set in Baltimore, and often featured the use of electronic surveillance by the police?
10) Which film tells the story of an American post-apocalyptic event, starring Will Smith, who plays US Army virologist Robert Neville?
I Am Legend
11) Which actor links the films, The Da Vinci Code, X-Men, and the TV soap Coronation St?
12) Which long running TV drama was set primarily in the 1960s, initially at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue in New York?
13) Name the Stanley Kubrick film from 1964 in which Peter Sellers play 3 different characters.
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
14) In the crime drama The Sopranos, who played the role of psychiatrist Jennifer Melfi?
15) In the film Mamma Mia, who plays Sophie who, after finding her mothers diary, tries to find which of three men is her father?
16) Who directed the film The Da Vinci Code?
17) In the series ‘Breaking Bad’ who played the main character Walter White?
18) The American crime drama ‘The Wire’ was set in which American city?
19) Who created and wrote the political drama ‘The West Wing’?
20) Regarded by many as one of the greatest TV dramas of all time, which show was based around a family running a funeral parlour?
Six Feet Under
21) Which series from the 2000s featured the characters, Sheldon and Leonard?
The Big Bang Theory
22) Crime and counter-terrorist series which ran to 2010 and featured a clock that is prominently displayed on-screen during the show.
23) Which TV comedy series follows the lives of employees at the fictional Sacred Heart teaching hospital?
24) In the series ‘House’ who played the part of ‘Thirteen’?
25) Who starred as Fox Mulder in the series X-Files?
Music Tie Breaker Questions
1) Which British musician caused controversy in 1997 when he said taking drugs was ‘like having a cup of tea in the morning’?
2) In September 1997, which group topped the UK charts with their single ‘The Drugs Don’t Work’?
3) The Europop band Aqua topped the charts in November 1997 with which children’s top inspired single?
4) Which member of East 17 was forced to leave the band following controversial comments in January of 1997?
5) Richard E. Grant, Roger Moore, Elton John, and Stephen Fry starred in which film featuring the girl group the Spice Girls?
Spiceworld: The Movie
6) Which electronic music duo had chart success with ‘Block Rockin’ Beats’ in April?
The Chemical Brothers
7) ‘The Fat of the Land’ was a UK number one album in July & August 1997. Which dance group released it?
8) ‘Let’s Talk About Love’ finished the year on top of the album charts. Which Canadian singer released it as her fifth studio album?
9) Which American singer had 1991 chart hits with ‘Crazy For You’ and ‘Rescue Me’?
10) In which year did the following songs reach number one in the UK single chart? Mr Blobby with ‘Mr Blobby’, Mariah Carey with ‘Without You’ and Take That with ‘Sure’
11) Complete the title of this 1997 Gala hit ‘Freed From …’
12) Complete the title of this 1996 UK single chart hit from rapper Mark Morrisson – ‘Return of the …’
13) Two of the biggest hits of the 1995 UK singles chart were ‘Boom Boom Boom’ and ‘Don’t Stop (Wiggle Wiggle)’ but which American hip hop duo were behind them?
The Outhere Brothers
14) Complete the title of this 1999 Baz Luhrmann track ‘Everybody’s Free (To Wear …)’
15) Which US rapper had 1998 hits with ‘Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It’, ‘Just The Two Of Us’ and ‘Miami’?
16) Which British group had 1993 hits with ‘Why Can’t I Wake Up With You’, ‘Babe’ and ‘Could It Be Magic’?
17) Which pair of pop giants teamed up to release ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’ in 1991?
George Michael & Elton John
18) Which American singer had a huge hit with ‘Save the Best for Last’ in 1992?
19) Which boy band released a double A-side containing ‘I Have A Dream / Seasons In The Sun’ in 1999?
20) Which Canadian artist released ‘Man! I Feel Like A Woman!’ in 1999?
21) Which British band released ‘You’re Gorgeous’ in 1996?
22) Complete the title of this 1994 East 17 Christmas number one ‘Stay Another …’
23) The biggest selling single of 1994 was Wet Wet Wet’s ‘Love Is All Around’ from the Four Weddings and a Funeral soundtrack. Which English rock band first released the song in October 1967?
24) Which American singer-songwriter sang ‘You’re All That Matters to Me’ and ‘I Wonder Why’ in 1992?
25) Which Irish boyband became the fastest to achieve 10 number-one singles in 2002?
Geography Tie Breaker Questions
1) Rangoon is the largest city in which Southeast Asia country?
2) Koreatown is a well-known area of which US west coast city?
3) Cali, Medellín, and Bogotá are the three largest cities in which South American country?
4) What is the official language of the Canadian city Quebec?
5) If you were to leave Gibraltar for the port of Tangier, in which country would you arrive?
6) Joseph Conrad’s novel Heart of Darkness features a narrated voyage up which African river?
7) The ancient stone city of Machu Picchu is found in which South American country?
8) Which European country uses the ‘.es’ internet address?
9) Albuquerque is the largest city in which US state?
10) The Little Mermaid statue by Edvard Eriksen sits on the promenade of which Scandinavian capital city?
11) Which Italian island is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea?
12) Which African country entirely surrounds the enclaved country of Lesotho?
13) The 1964 and 2020 Olympic Summer Games were held in which Japanese city?
14) Which US city is known for being the home of the US automobile industry?
15) In which US city would you find the Bellagio, Luxor and Venetian hotels?
16) Which city beginning with ‘L’ is the third largest city in France?
17) Which English county shares boundaries with Lancashire to the south and west, Cumberland to the north and County Durham and Yorkshire to the east?
18) The modern game of Tennis was developed by Harry Gem and his friend Augurio Perrera at Edgbaston Priory Club situated in which English city?
19) Which is the highest mountain in England which is not inside the boundaries of the Lake District?
20) Jaguar Land Rover has headquarters in which British city?
21) Which major Scottish river, the country’s second longest, flows through Glasgow?
22) On an O.S Map with a scale of 1:25000, how many inches represent one mile?
Two and a half
23) The 2014 Commonwealth Games were held in which British city?
24) Said to be the first ‘true’ canal in England, The Bridgewater Canal can be found in which city?
25) Which Italian island is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea?
So there you have it! What are you waiting for? Why not go ahead and host your very own quiz night.
There’s plenty to get your teeth into, you’re more than equipped to make sure that it ends with a night to remember.